Gripnr, a New Orleans-based Web3 technology company bringing tabletop games to the blockchain, raised $2.5M in funding.
Backers included XBTO Humla Ventures, Sopris Capital, Voodoo Ventures, Better Angels, Abstraction Ventures, and Carl Sparks (Managing Partner of Interlock), as well a series of New Orleans based investors.
The company plans to use the funds for its first 5E game, and genesis NFT collection. The Glimmering.
Gripnr CEO Brent McCrossen is the founder and CEO of this Web3 technology company. It brings tabletop gaming to the blockchain. The Glimmering, Gripnr’s first game release, is set to launch its genesis NFT collection in May 2022.
The Glimmering‘s genesis NFTs of 10,000 individual characters include hand-drawn attributes designed specifically for gameplay. Every character will have their own unique rarities, which will include class, ancestry and skills. The blockchain will also keep ongoing character data. Members of Gripnr who have created the genesis collection will immediately receive benefits while they wait for the onchain play to start.
Gripnr’s team includes:
- Patrick Comer, whose research technology platform Lucid was acquired last year for over $1 billion;
- CEO and music industry veteran, Brent McCrossen;
- Creative Director and agency veteran Kyle Mortensen;
- Lead artist and rock poster designer, Justin Kamerer; and
- Experience Dungeons & Dragons game creator and former Wizards of the Coast game developer, Stephen Radney-MacFarland, and
- CTO Luke Ledet