Telegram is a messaging app which has seen tremendous growth in the last few years. announced a premium tier for users who want a little extra and also as a way to help the platform generate a little money and remain free to use. Unlike Twitter’s Blue subscription, Telegram is adding features you might want to pay for.
There are many things that have been announced, including faster file uploads, faster downloading speeds, double the number of channels and folders you can access, voice to text transcriptions, unique stickers and badges, as well as premium app icons and premium apps icons. This is just the beginning. Subscribing to Telegram is worth it if you’re a regular user of the service, not just casual chat guys.
Here’s everything included in Telegram Premium.
- Upload files up to 4GBTelegram will double the file size that you can share, from 2GB to 3GB. This is not the only change. All free users will now be able download (or receive!) those 4GB files from Premium users.
- Faster downloads: Premium subscribers will be able to download “as fast as your network can keep up” with no limits on speeds. Everything else could experience slower speeds at times.
- Double chats with folders, channels, and moreTelegram Premium will double the number of items such as groups and channels (500-1000), pinned chats (5-8), public links (10-20), saved GIFs (202-04), saved GIFs (200-400), 20 chat folders (200 chats per), and 10 favorite stickers. You’ll also be able to add a fourth Telegram account and write more in your Bio, with the option to add a link.
- Transcribing voice-to-text: When voice messages come through, Premium users will see a button that will attempt to transcribe them into text, should you be in a situation where you can’t listen.
- Unique stickersTelegram continues to promote its dozens full-screen animated stickers that are available for Premium users. But, that will also show animations to all users.
- Unique reactionsPremium users have more options for reaction emoji.
- Chat managementPremium subscribers have two options to manage their chat settings: the default folder can be chosen or the app will always open to a specific folder such as unread messages.
- Photos of animated profiles: Want a livelier profile picture? Premium users can upload a profile video, which then acts as an animated image profile for all users.
- Premium badge: If you pay for Premium, you’ll get a special badge to show off.
- Premium app icons: Paying for Premium also means you’ll get premium icons to chose from for your home screen.
- There are no ads: In some countries and in some public channels, there are ads or “Sponsored Messages” – Premium makes those go away.
It’s quite a list. Telegram’s Premium features are only beneficial for those who have large numbers of contacts, group chats, subscriptions to channels or send large files. Some of the new Premium features, such as voice-to-text audio messages, more responses, animated profile photos, chat management stuff and faster downloads, would be beneficial to most users.
How much does Telegram Premium cost? Although prices will vary by region, Telegram Premium is expected to cost $4.99 per month in the US.
Telegram is rolling out the Premium subscription, so you’ll want to be on the lookout for an update depending on your platform of choice.