Steve Jobs was the co-founder of Apple and former CEO. He released the iPhone during his most famous keynote speech. We have seen a lot of iPhones since then and the company has continued to grow. Apple grew from a small company to a tech giant, with a market capitalization of over $3 trillion in the next 15 years.
This was back in 2007 when Nokia was still Nokia’s largest mobile phone manufacturer. Jobs stated in his keynote speech that the iPhone was a revolutionary and amazing product, at least five years ahead of any other phone. The iPhone changed the world in an instant, no matter how remarkable Jobs’ introduction. No matter if you are a loyal iPhone user or not, the iPhone has made a huge difference in our lives every day.
Although the iPhone isn’t the first smartphone, we can’t forget about IBM which was at least 15-years earlier than the iPhone), the iPhone has surpassed all other smartphones. The iPhone is the true mobile revolution. The iPhone not only made the internet more accessible, but it also allowed us to take photos every day. The creation and distribution of software was also changed by the iPhone’s arrival. The iPhone’s impact on software creation and distribution will be remembered for many years.
TOP 15 FACTS ON THE IPHONE & APPLE
Here are the top 15 facts about Apple and the iPhone as it celebrates its 15th anniversary. This information is not something we see every day, but it does contain some interesting history.
1. Apple’s market capitalization was $174.03 million in 2007. This is the total value of all Apple stock. The company’s market value reached $3 trillion on January 3, 2022. This makes it the most valuable tech company publicly traded.
2. While the original iPhone was made of silver brushed aluminum, the iPhone 13 features an aluminum frame, glass front, back and five color options. The iPhone 13 Pro is now available in three colors.
IPHONES ALWAYS HAD A TENDENCY TO BE EXPENSIVE
3 The original iPhone cost $499 and had 4GB of storage. You can also get an 8GB storage smartphone for $100 more. The third-gen iPhone 2009 offers 16GB storage and additional features for $199. The 256GB iPhone 13 Pro Max costs $1,099 and the 1TB iPhone 13 Pro Max costs $1,599. The iPhone has been expensive since its inception. It’s unlikely to get cheaper if it can keep its expensive lifestyle for at least 15 years.
4. Since the introduction of the iPhone, the majority of the top players in the smartphone market have been left behind. Smartphones were not as popular before 2007, so we used “handphones” with long antennas. Nokia was the market leader, while Samsung, Motorola, and Sony Ericsson were all close behind. Other than Samsung, all other manufacturers now sit in the “back seat”. In 2007, these companies were not available: Uber, TikTok and Twitch.
5 The original iPhone only had one camera. It was located on the back. The iPhone 13 Pro boasts four cameras: three on the back, one on the front. This is how the iPhone has changed over the years. It is, however, behind Android smartphones in terms of evolution.
6 The iPhone was a frustrating device to use in its day. With the original iPhone, users cannot copy and paste the text. The copy and paste function was not available until the iPhone OS 3’s release in 2009.
THE IPHONE HAD ZERO APPS AT A TIME
7. There are currently about 2 million apps in the Apple App Store that users can download and use. The original iPhone only had 15 apps, and those were the only ones that the user had access to. These 15 apps include
- Maps (Google Maps).
- Voice Memos
ALL 33 iPhones RELEASED BY Apple
8 Apple has produced 33 iPhones in the last 15 years. Only 8 of these phones are still available on the market. This is the complete list of iPhones Apple has made, as well as their lifespan.
- Apple iPhone (2007-2008)
- iPhone 3G (2008-2010)
- iPhone 3GS (2009-2012)
- Apple iPhone 4 (2010-2013)
- iPhone 4S (2011-2014)
- iPhone 5 (2012-2013)
- Apple iPhone 5C (2013-2015)
- iPhone 5S (2013-2016)
- iPhone 6 (2014-2016)
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus (2014 – 2016)
- iPhone 6S (2015-2018)
- iPhone 6S Plus (2015 – 2018)
- Apple iPhone SE (1st Edition) (2016-2018)
- iPhone 7 (2016-2019)
- iPhone 7 Plus (2016 – 2019)
- Apple iPhone 8 (2017-2020)
- iPhone 8 Plus (2017 – 2020)
- iPhone X (2017 – 2018)
- Apple iPhone XR (2018) – 2021
- iPhone XS (2018) – 2019
- iPhone XS Max (2018) – 2019
- Apple iPhone 11 Pro (2019 – 2020)
- iPhone 11 Pro Max (2019 – 2020)
- iPhone 12 Pro (2020 – 2021)
- Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max (2020 – 2021)
- iPhone 11 (2019-present)
- iPhone SE (2nd), (2020 – Present)
- Apple iPhone 12 (2020-present)
- iPhone 12 Mini (2020 – present)
- iPhone 13 (2021-present)
- Apple iPhone 13 Mini (2021 – present)
- iPhone 13 Pro (2021 – present)
- iPhone 13 Pro Max (2021 – present)
9. This is another shocking fact for iPhone users. Did you know that the original iPhone cannot record video? Users can’t record video with the original iPhone. The latest iPhone 13 Pro allows users to record 4K 60fps video and ProRes video at 40fps.
IPHONES FOR MOVIES
10. Over the years, the iPhone has been used for a few movies. These movies were shot with the iPhone: Unsane (Tangerine), Detours, High Flying Birds, Snowmobile (Snow Steam Iron), Lady Gaga: Stupid Love.
11. MMS was not available on the original iPhone. It could not send photos or videos via text messages. It was slowly improved by the iPhone OS3.
12. Original iPhone screen size was 3.5 inches. The iPhone 13 Mini measures 5.4 inches today, while the iPhone 13 measures 6.1 inches. The iPhone 13 Pro Max’s giant screen is 6.7 inches.
13. The original iPhone was a “empty phone” and lacked key features. We have evolved over the years to have a “complete smartphone”. FaceTime was launched in 2010, and iMessage was introduced by Apple in 2011.
14. Apple App Store was launched on July 10, 2008 with 500 apps. Apple’s latest data shows that it currently has 1.8 million apps.
15. Apple sold one million iPhones on September 10, 2007, 74 days after the release of the original iPhone. Apple sold 216.7 million iPhones in 2018, roughly 1 million iPhones per 1.5 days. Apple stopped sharing iPhone sales figures after 2018.
These are 15 incredible facts about Apple’s iPhone. You can add more interesting facts to the comments section below.